Sign in to follow this  
dam-re1

P-platers ban

should p-platers be banned from hi-po cars?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. select

• yes ban till they drop there nuts
    • no,let them get 300kw at 16 they deserve it
    • who gives a rats
    • mmm,donuts!

1: the commie involved in this crash (assuming it was a V6 one) would have been legal even under that law and wouldnt have made a difference

2: the big dipper (where the crash was) has a massive run up, u dont need power to get speed up for it, any car, even my old 1.2ltr auto 3spd KE30 would have got up to enough speed to get air and crash on the big dipper, so this accident being part of the argument is stupid.

v6 is very powerful,even un modified they have plenty of poke even though they are boats..

ke30 is a death trap bomb

a 990cc daihatsu could be air born given enough stupidity

p-platers in turbocharged cars,yep thats cool...doesnt sound right does it?

I live in the ACT so it's perfectly fine for me to drive around in my 200+rwkw 180, and at the age of 19 I know that i'm pretty damn sensible. i'm not going to be a *richard cranium* in a car i spent so much on anyway where as 5 blokes in a $500 falcoon aren't going to be thinking 'jeez i don't wanna break my baby'. I would support the minimum age for P's being raised to 18 though, but I think education is probably more important.

just my 2 cents

I dont have a problem with P-platers have turbo cars, but i am a firm believer that we need more training and more education before a teenager should be aloud behind the wheel of any vehicle.

No they shouldnt be banned - they should be trained on driving high performance cars - Skidpan Days, Defensive Driving Days, Advanced Driver Training Days etc

v6 is very powerful

congrats, u just shat out any last piece of credability u had.

I'm a P-plater, and I definitely think there should be something done about more car control/experience and more hours, and also at a slightly later age. Here in NSW I think the only thing banned should be Commodores.

v6 is very powerful

so a v6 isnt a powerful car then in your eyes..

and for heirarchys and credabilitys up in here..its all yours my good friend,enjoy!

i also heard that people crash slow cars too. is this true? pls confirm

y/n ?

...double post...

Edited by zzero

v6 is very powerful

so a v6 isnt a powerful car then in your eyes..

and for heirarchys and credabilitys up in here..its all yours my good friend,enjoy!

u dont understand, the bans interstate are either for power:weight or V8 and turbo, im pretty sure the commo involved in this accident is legal within these laws, not even the government considers it a fast car. therefore using this accident as an example for this argument is straight up dumb, that a long with the other thing i mentioned.

yes a v6 commie is powerful compared to a 4cyl ecconomy box, but it also weighs more than a blue whale. technically a sports bike isnt "powerful" in that sense.

the incident with the commodore car was just the latest..a topic was composed from what i saw on the news..the news stated more fresh talks regarding p-platers and hi-po vehicles,I have placed the incident as the latest for SA as prompted me too post, wanting too get peoples opinions on the matter of P-platers and hi-po cars and the banning of such..you are looking at the commodore incident too closely..lets talk more about hi-po cars and nis :P kids being banned from owning powerful vehicles..and not the frikin commo..jeeeeeeeez!

nice B)

ok, lets talk high powered vs non-highpowered, most of my mates who have crashed were young blokes being dickheads in cheap slow POS's, no where near as many were driving performance cars.

it comes down to respect, respect for the car and respect for the fact that if they crash a $10k car its gonna hurt their wallet a lot more than crashing a car worth a few k.

it comes down to respect, respect for the car and respect for the fact that if they crash a $10k car its gonna hurt their wallet a lot more than crashing a car worth a few k.

Pretty much. My first car was a 3k POS, I used to speed all the time in it and be an all around moron because it wasn't really worth anything to me. When that thing finally blew up, I got a loan and bought an '04 Ford XR6. Treat it like a baby now, all wrapped up in cotton wool.

yeh, some people might argue if u spent that 10k on a lux car or newer car or some shit instead of on a performance car then ud have the same appreciation, but without the performance. but seriously, i dont know many people who would have saved the $$ they saved for their performance car to spend it on a newer ecconomy box or some shit. if i was told i couldnt own a performance car, i would have gone out, bought a POS and put the $$ towards something else, probably booze, clubs, gigs and drugs tbqh lol

I dont need P platers driving up the insurance on my car any more than the dickheads that are on their fulls and drive like twats already do.

I illegally drove mine for 11 months..

but all the other family cars are supercharged, or twin turbo v8's. so mine was a little 4cyl turbo in comparison :lol:

I still wasnt grant an exemption!! and theres no public transport where i live.

anywho, it doesnt make much difference. kids kill themselves in stock rock non turbo charged cars (v6 commies, a laser, whatever), they can still reach excessive speeds, still do dumb shit. as a few of you said earlier, its people, not the car that kill. the car is simply a "tool" used by the person

Power to weight ratio i agree with, banning all turbo's and v8's is just stupid, and a typical bandaid fix from the Australian govt.

If you have the cash, it is not hard to mod your car discreetly, so you get the power but not the attention.

Trouble is, the fulli sik kiddies want to show off their fulli sik turboz with their blowoff valve.

f**kin aye, just look at the GC, f**kin douches in "unit" shirts and caps (the GC uniform) that can't see over the wheel. Always on the news ending up around a pole.

Learn to drive, and I mean properly drive, not like "i drive better than my mum" shit, learn to drive a fast car and keep control, I had turbo on P's, nearly smashed up a parked corolla boosting.

I still feel some silvs and GT-Rs are too powerful for some open license drivers

Im a p-plater and I drive a Type X

i don't think banning hi-powered car is the answer, i think it is all to do with the driver.

I personaly think that getting a license should be at least 10 times harder then it is now, driving at a constant speed and doing a 3 point turn proves nothing of someones ability to control a car. also i think that it should cost a lot more to take a driving test, so people who do stupid things and loose their license have to pay a premium price to get their right to drive back. and if you fail your driving test 3 times, you should not be allowed to re-apply for 3 years.

Honestly more then 50% of people i see on the road every day should have never got their license.

sounds harsh, but thats my opinion :P^_^

f**k yeah krispy kreme is 1337 :P

donuts all the way!!!!! :lol:

:huh:

:offtopic:

but ok

Im a soon to be victorian P-plater. I personally think that a ban on all hi-po cars is shit. They should just reinstate the power to weight ratio law and scrap the 24/7 passenger ban, its just putting more drivers on the road when people could just be car pooling. Also not all drivers are hoons and not all hoons are p platers either!

Young drivers like myself should have to go through a defensive driving course in order to obtain there licence. should provide some experience as to what to do in an emergency rather than just slamming on the breaks...

Edited by Mr 0uch

i got my p's right on the dot of 16.5, and i reckon there shouldnt be a ban, just some kind of extra training etc..

but im pretty damn sure its got to do with the driver, i drive a little getz which my rents bought as a 3rd family car (more or less mine to drive)

as u can see its not the hottest thing out there, but i used to speed a fair bit until i realised it just wasnt worth it (ironically out of all the times ive got 90 down shepherds hill, it was doing 61km/h in a 50 zone where i thought it was 60 lol)

ANYWAY

i reckon more driving courses, make it harder to get your P's without some more experience. its the driver, not the car.. (IMO)

2c>

yes cause most p-platers think they can farkin drive cause they can do there fully farkin sick 1 wheel burnouts..............

screw bans on hi-po cars, they should make the training to get your L's and P's longer and more in depth.

eg: a basic driving course before you even get your l's and then a defensive driving course and increase the minimum number of lessons that you have to do with an instructor once on your L's.

As it is you can be on your P's by 16.5 years old, waaay too young to let people be driving on their own, 17 minimum i think.

and the current 50 hrs of daytime driving minimum fails majorly, it relies on the drivers being honest when recording their hours....do they really think thats so smart when all the kids want to do is get their license? Sure a lot do record them down legit, but i dont think theyre the ones that are going to be stupid drivers.

I agree totally. More education, awareness as well as more comprehensive driver training should be put into place.

I don't think the govt should dictate what cars people drive, you're your own responsibility. If you crash and it's your fault, you suffer the consequences, just try not to take anyone else down with you.

It is unfair to dictate what cars certain age groups can and can't drive. But the argument of being immature and unexperienced holds up well in my opinion - which goes back to my point above regarding driver training, awareness and education.

I look back to when i first got my P's and i compare my maturity to now and it has changed a great deal. It could be the age, the maturing of the brain during those 2/3 years, or it could be the fact that i'm aware of what can and will happen if you're a *richard cranium* on the road due to past experience.

In saying that though S13's and what not aren't that much faster then most cars today in stock form V6 commies could keep up with mine before I added a couple of things yet p platers can drive commies which is what most of the 'hoon' cars are.

Another valid point which proves that the blanket ban fails to achieve what it set out to do - prevent young, inexperienced drivers from driving high powered cars. There are many cars that P platers can legally drive which are substantially faster than many of those on the restricted list.

At the end of the day, there are still p platers out there driving the restricted vehicles illegaly. There are some who are doing so responsibly and others who are not. Also there are those who are driving the 'legal' cars responsibly and then there are those who are driving the 'legal' cars irresponsibly. It's really the individual, their experience and attitude towards driving...

open wheelers ftw! :ph34r:

yeh nah, i'm 17, live in vic, have a nsw liscence :ph34r: i drive a vic registered car in victoria so legally i am aloud to show vic green p's and follow the green p rules because i have had my p's in a different state before these red p's came out in vic. i think its good there are restrictions, i drive like a nana on the road because its not worth doing silly stuff on the street, but i could see myself playing up a lot in a turbo car just for the feel of boost.

i think SA should have the age lifted up, i would not of been ready to drive a car let alone a turbo one at the age of 16.5. i think the age should be 18 for p's with turbo/v8 restrictions etc. in any state

I'd say no

but thats just the fact that just coz some idiot doesnt know how to handle the power of his car and writes himself off doesnt mean the rest of us should have to suffer, but coz VIC sucks i've gotta wait till im like 22 to actually be able to drive a decent car.. :angry: